In the Netherlands, almost all childhood cancer care and research are concentrated in a single institute, the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology. With approximately 600 children per year being affected by cancer in the Netherlands and 150 children suffering from relapse each year, our institute comprises the largest pediatric oncology institute in Europe. This provides a unique opportunity for the Netherlands to contribute to the world-wide effort in understanding and improving outcome for children with cancer.
The Den Boer group is looking for an enthusiastic senior research technician with experience in the hemato-oncology field, who has a strong interest in lab manager responsibilities associated with preclinical (wetlab) and translational (clinical trial) activities.
Background information to the job
The research group of Prof. Monique den Boer (~15fte) studies which features of leukemic cells can be used to improve the clinical outcome for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Our 25-year track record in preclinical/translational research has resulted in knowledge being implemented in new treatment protocols, and our journey continues to further improve the specificity of anti-leukemia treatment. We have expertise in wetlab studies addressing which (combination of) genetic lesions characterize the patients’ leukemia, how these lesions functionally contribute to chemo- and immunotherapy resistance and the way leukemic cells manipulate the bone marrow microenvironment. We make us of molecular and functional techniques, applied mostly to primary leukemic cells from patients, including (single cell) sequencing, gene manipulation, flow cytometry, drug cytotoxicity assays and cellular immuno-assays. We also host the central processing hub for biomaterials taken from patients participating in international phase I/II studies with new chemo-/immunotherapeutics in children with acute leukemia for which the Princess Máxima Center is in the lead.
As a senior (lead) research technician you will oversee the clinical trial portfolio and associated demands for sample processing and documentation by technicians of the Den Boer group. You will coordinate all clinical trial-associated and research-associated activities of technicians by overseeing the specific needs within the group. You will directly report to the group leader and will participate in the management team of the group.
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Lab management in daily practice
- Planning and coordinating clinical trial-related activities
- Coordinating the work portfolio of technicians in the group, including training of employees and quality assessment of performed experiments
- Providing technical assistance to specific projects
- Conceptional thinking of experimental setup underlying research questions
- Implementation of new technologies
Profile and skills
We are looking for a senior candidate with a proven track record in the field of hemato-oncology research, an extensive modecular technical skill set and at least some experience in lab management. Also:
- A degree in applied sciences (‘HLO’) or a Master’s degree in biomedical sciences
- Some experience in mouse handling and/or the setup/demands for laboratory tests linked to clinical trials is an advantage but not a must
- Excellent analytical and concise wrinting skills
- Natural leadership qualities, pro-active and target-oriented
- A good command of the English language, and excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Other features are flexible, high level of multitasking, trustworthiness, positive mindset, and a good team player
Working at the Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric Oncology
We offer a full-time position (36 hours a week) in an inspiring and multidisciplinary research team, bridging research and clinics. You will initially be appointed for a period of 1 year, with a possible extension to more years. Your gross monthly salary will depend on experience and background, maximum scale 55, with 8.33% holiday allowance and 8.33% end of year bonus. The Princess Máxima Center operates according to the collective labor agreement ‘cao algemene ziekenhuizen’.
Apply for this position?
You can apply for this position until 15 February 2023 by pressing the “apply” button on this screen. For more information contact Prof. Dr. Monique den Boer.
Acquisitie naar aanleiding van deze vacature wordt niet op prijs gesteld.Solliciteer direct