The Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology is a new nationwide research hospital concentrating healthcare, research and education with regard to cancer in children and is located at the Utrecht Science Park de Uithof. The institute has the ambition to give the best treatment to children with cancer with the highest cure rate and the least side effects of (often complex) anti-cancer treatment. The center brings together the best possible care and scientific research, creating a unique comprehensive childhood cancer center in Europe.
Pediatric high-grade gliomas are largely fatal brain tumors in children that need innovation in treatment. The van Vuurden group conducts preclinical and clinical studies to translate novel therapeutic strategies to the clinic for the treatment of (pediatric) brain tumors. Most of the research lines investigate clinically relevant strategies to circumvent the blood-brain barrier, which is thought to be one of the major hurdles of current therapies. More specifically, diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas (brainstem cancer, DIPG) are highly fatal, rare brain tumors located in the brainstem, that are mostly diagnosed in children around the age of 6-7 for which in recent decades no significant breakthroughs in therapy have been accomplished. Most patients die within the first year after diagnosis. The poor prognosis is mainly due to the presence of the blood-brain barrier that impedes drug extravasation, thus requiring novel drug delivery strategies.
For this purpose the Van Vuurden Research Group team at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology explores innovative drug delivery strategies to circumvent the blood-brain barrier: focused-ultrasound blood-brain barrier opening and convection-enhanced delivery.
You will actively participate in the daily execution of the research projects by providing your technical support, from in vitro assays to in vivo studies. You will evolve in a very dynamic and inter-disciplinary field, where communication skills will be a key value in an international team.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated research technician with:
- A bachelor (Dutch HBO degree, or equivalent) in life sciences, zoology, medical biology, or related field.
- A 5-year professional experience (at least) will be a plus.
- Clear experience in preclinical studies (license of laboratory animal science will be required: Dutch article 9 or article 14f2, or equivalent for foreign candidates).
- Experience in radionuclide center is a pre-requisite (license 5B).
- Concrete experience in cell culture, histopathology (standard tissue stainings, immunohistochemistry), (fluorescence) microscopy, molecular biology and genetic manipulation (plasmid amplification and transduction)
- High communication skills with a perfect command of the English language, oral and written.
- High personal management skills: attention to details, capability to standardize protocols (and write standard operating procedures), motivation to work in a multidisciplinary team and a teamwork mindset.
We offer a research technician position in an inspiring and multidisciplinary research environment. You will initially be appointed for a period of 1 year, with a possible extension to 2 or more years (full-time). Your gross monthly salary will depend on experience and background, starting in scale 45 with 8,33% gross monthly salary holiday allowance and 8,33 % end-of-year bonus. The Princess Máxima Center operates according to the collective labour agreement ‘cao algemene ziekenhuizen’
Team and Supervisors
Dr. Dannis van Vuurden, MD, PhD, is a pediatric oncologist and principal investigator in the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology. He treats children with brain tumors and is Chair of the SIOPE DIPG Registry. His research focuses on characterization and innovation of treatment for high-grade glioma and DIPG.
Contact and Application
You can apply for this position until July 15th 2019 by pressing the apply button on this screen.
We welcome you to contact dr. Dannis van Vuurden, via telephone number: +31(0)88 9727272 for additional information about the vacancy.
Detailed information about the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology can also be found at www.prinsesmaximacentrum.nl.
Acquisitie naar aanleiding van deze vacature wordt niet op prijs gesteld.Solliciteer direct